Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ProsperityStream Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 21:12:44
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5488)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Sister Wives' Hunter Brown Shares How He Plans to Honor Late Brother Garrison
- NFL to play Christmas doubleheader despite holiday landing on Wednesday in 2024
- Waiting on your tax refund? Here's why your return may be taking longer this year
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- John Calipari will return to Kentucky for 16th season, athletic director says
- Travelers through Maine’s biggest airport can now fly to the moon. Or, at least, a chunk of it
- The Louisiana Legislature opened a window for them to sue; the state’s highest court closed it.
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Hop on Over to Old Navy, Where You Can Score 50% off During Their Easter Sale, With Deals Starting at $10
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Sparks paying ex-police officer $525,000 to settle a free speech lawsuit over social media posts
- Hold Tight to These Twilight Cast Reunion Photos, Spider Monkey
- Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul fight could be pro fight or exhibition: What's the difference?
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- NFL to play Christmas doubleheader despite holiday landing on Wednesday in 2024
- Amor Towles on 'A Gentleman in Moscow', 'Table for Two' characters: 'A lot of what-iffing'
- Here’s what we know about the allegations against Shohei Ohtani’s interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Hop on Over to Old Navy, Where You Can Score 50% off During Their Easter Sale, With Deals Starting at $10
Tiny, endangered fish hinders California River water conservation plan
Pickup truck driver charged for role in crash that left tractor-trailer dangling from bridge
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Krispy Kreme doughnuts coming to McDonald's locations nationwide by the end of 2026
Bird flu is spreading in a few states. Keeping your bird feeders clean can help
Pickup truck driver charged for role in crash that left tractor-trailer dangling from bridge